Monday, March 1, 2010

The Proposal

It's 1:43 a.m. and I need to get up for the gym tomorrow - the day is packed. I've been learning to live on very little sleep though; I usually don't go back to sleep now once I wake up in the morning. It doesn't matter how early or late - BING! - I'm planning a wedding the moment I am concsious. I guess that means I'm just a little excited.

I went to bed at 5:30 the other morning, woke up at 9:30 to a brain full of wedding plans. And I was awake until 1 am that night (morning) that is until my sweet fiance carried me down the stairs half asleep.

ANYWAY. The reason I am up this late and writing is because I want to write the proposal story before the details start to slip away.

Warning: This is so super sappy it will make your heart melt all over!

The night was Feb 18, 2010. I wasn't expecting a ring until March so Aaron managed to surprise me! He brought me to the Irving Nature Park beach, which is one of the few ocean beaches in Saint John. We've gone there several times because, to me, ocean waves are better than almost any sound or sight in all the world.

So, in my usual ways, I jumped out of the car and raced down to the beach ahead of Aaron. Usually he walks down while I run and, little did I know, that this time he was actually getting the ring and securing it in his pocket!!

Once he caught up to me, I told him to run with me. Any other night we probably would have run forever but he seemed in a little bit of a hurry to settle down that night (I wonder why?!). So after chasing me down and listening to me say 100 times that the waves are soooo beautiful" and that "they got bigger since we got here!", he pulled me in close for a dance.

Often (and this is how on-a-regular-basis-romantic Aaron is), we will dance somewhere outside to a slow song that Aaron picks from his phone. We have so many favourites and that night Aaron chose Wild Horses (a more current favourite).

So Aaron set a flashlight on a rock so we could see and we danced. A few minutes in he said the words "1, 2, 3 twirl!" and so I did. Sometimes I am such an enthusiast that I do things in double. So I actually twirled twice. The first time around I caught, out of the corner of my eye, a glimpse of Aaron on his knee. It didn't fully register during my second twirl; by the time I was around, though, I saw him on his knee with so much love in his eyes!

From there, it feels like the whole world stopped. I didn't hear the music, I didn't hear the waves. I just heard the love of my life telling me that I am everything he ever wanted and asking me to be his wife.

After the ring was on, some hugs and kisses were in place, then we ran around the beach in pure Aaron and Katie fashion screaming "WE'RE ENGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGED!!!!!". (aaron replayed this part at my house every day for a week following). We were and ARE soooooooooo excited!

There will be more to come - I can't believe I have such an amazing man. I'm overjoyed and spoiled with blessing!

1 comment: